Sunday, September 2, 2012

Tour Guides

Aunt Jackie and my cousin Justin came into town on Thursday. Jackie is taking Justin to BYU-Hawaii where he will play basketball. The girls LOVE having them here. And so do Haans and I! Things have been so much fun since they arrived.



We finally got to be professional tour guides on Friday and Saturday. We were "those" parents that kept their girls up till 11:00 pm so we could walk Waikiki at night and enjoy the night life and some well earned ice cream. I mean what responsible parents keeps their kids up that late!





Then on Saturday we visited Pearl Harbor.



It seems wierd smiling at this amazing memorial, but I didn't think it was appropriate to look solemn either. But we were also laughing because we took several pictures trying to get the girls to look at the camera. But this was the best we got.



 Lou Who is really in to the memorial, or she is just trying to fit her head through the bars. I think it is the latter.

I sure love my Veteran!





Pearl Harbor was really neat and there is a very neat feeling there. It was humbling thinking about what happened here 71 years ago. They told us how there are only 35 remaining survivors of the USS Arizona and when they die, they can choose to be buried with their fellow shipmates in the USS Arizona if they want. One sailor is going to be "buried at sea" next week. I am truly amazed and blessed to live in this wonderful country and am very grateful to all the men and women, including my husband, my daddy and father and mother-in-law who served to protect it.

We only had a few melt downs from the girls, but considering it isn't really kid friendly, and they were the only kids on our tour, they did really well.

We opted out of going to the Swap Meet, maybe it had something to do with two screaming children in the back seat, but Jackie and Justin went and then were kind enough to offer to baby-sit that night so Haans and I could go on a date to a movie. Tomorrow, Monday, we are going to tour the island!

4 comments:

  1. Very nice post. Love seeing where you've been and sights you are seeing. We have been in those same places and it makes me remember the sweet feeling I felt at the memorial. I'd like to go again because last time we went, we got there too late to actually go out to the memorial itself...we only got to tour the museum part.
    Love to you all. Enjoy Jackie and Justin while you can.

    Love, momma/lassen xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, seeing all these touristy pictures remind me of when we went to Oahu during our Honeymoon. So happy that you have a car now. Life will only keep getting better and better! Nice Hawaiian shirt, Haans. Erik will be jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool pictures! Haans looks like a total veteran with his hat and old-man Hawaiian shirt! Ha :-) Thanks for being a part of our country's protectors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE these pictures!!! Jackie looks completely in her element. So glad she got to come and see you, and you could play for a bit. And yes, we were one of "those" parents too when our kids were babies. We'd be out eating dessert at 11 PM in Provo with Jonna...she went everywhere with us! Else, you are in a wonderful place! I'm so happy for you, and hope you absorb it all. My guess is one day you'll be like Aunt Jackie, totally in your element there. Love ya all.

    ReplyDelete