Thursday, September 13, 2012

Geckos

Before moving to Hawaii, I was warned of all the cockroaches here. I had my fair share of run ins with cockroaches on my mission in Argentina, so I wasn't exactly excited to meet them here in Hawaii.  But amazingly, I didn't see my first one till a few days after we moved in and it wasn't even in my house. It was big, yuck, but at least not it my house. What I do see all over the place are geckos! There are tiny ones, and a bit bigger ones, but I luckily haven't seen any HUGE ones. I couldn't figure out on the internet what kind ours are, but I have since learned that I am extremely grateful for the geckos. They eat the cockroaches!!!!

Can you see this one?

Of course the day I wanted to take their pictures, they were all sleeping! Here is Curly and Lou Who trying to help my hunt for them. They usually are all over our patio, but run when they see us coming.



I did have an experience, two weeks ago, with a gecko that freaked me out. We keep our doors open all day to get the nice ocean cross breeze and a small gecko wandered into the house. I found him crawling behind the oven, I tried to get him out with a broom, but lost him. I didn't see him the rest of the day, so I figured he found his way out. The next morning, I went to clean up a spill from the girls and grabbed the wash rag on the faucet of the sink and out popped the gecko. It FREAKED me out. What was it doing in the wash rag? Sorry buddy, thank you for eating the cockroaches and I would rather have you in my house any day, but don't jump out and scare me!




*update: I have been informed while there are geckos here, the ones the inhabit our yard are lizards. Sorry! Still grateful they eat the cockroaches!

2 comments:

  1. Yikes! Everything is scarier when they surprise you! Glad you're relatively cockroach-free. Love, Debra

    ReplyDelete