Monday, August 27, 2012

Tiny Kitchen

So our cottage is small. If you do a 360 turn, you will see all of it, but we like it and our enjoying it. It is very clean and although small, it fits our needs...... well most of them.





I miss my old kitchen!!! My old kitchen was a full kitchen with a dishwasher, a garbage disposer, a full sized stove and oven and lots and lots of counter space and cupboards. Our landlord here graciously put in extra cupboards when he knew a family was moving in so that doubled the cupboard space (the ones up above.) When he told me he was going to do that, I almost cried I was so happy! So when we were looking at this cottage, we liked so many things about it, the yard, close to campus, a detached home (cottage), not an apartment complex and it was new and clean. The kitchen, that was my hold up.

But I will prevail!! And I will master the art of a small kitchen. I will get better at not using my ONE counter as a junk spot. I will get good at using a power strip to plug in anything. The closest one is down by the trash can. I will get better at doing my dishes right away so the counter is cleared. I will get use to using a tiny microwave that I have to step on a stool to reach, but it was just given to us for free so I really can't complain.  I will get use to using a motor home sized oven, at least it fits my jellyroll pans. I will get use to not having a garbage disposer. And I will patiently wait till Haans has a job before I hit him up with the idea of a portable dishwasher (one that has wheels) and it will act as MORE counter space!!

So just so you have an idea we use the top cupboards and the bottom of the china hutch for food. Then we use the bottom cupboard and china hutch for our most elaborate dishes that I picked up at Goodwill, but they are Pier 1 Import dishes! I even found that crock pot and a rice cooker there. Alas, my Goodwill silverware doesn't match so yep I am still reminded of what my mom told me, "it might feel like camping but with 4 walls."

Another good thing about a tiny kitchen is that I am limited on the amount of dishes I can have. So today while making brownies, I HAD to double the brownie mix because I ONLY had a big Pyrex pan instead of a small one.  See, so there is lots to be grateful for with a tiny kitchen.


And besides with that tiny kitchen comes this beautiful view that I can see while cooking over my tiny stove!

2 comments:

  1. As women, stay at home moms especially, we spend SO much time in the kitchen. You're doing great! I know what it's like to have a small kitchen. At least it looks way cuter than the Party Palace. We had a portable dishwasher at BYU that someone gave to us. It saved our marriage. I'll start praying for someone to give you a portable dishwasher too. Not that your marriage needs saving, but it does definitely make things a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous view out the window! I love the china hutch and everything does look so cute and clean. As a portable dishwasher owner for the past 8 years, I think they are GREAT! We have bought 2 off of Craigslist. They are twice as much as a regular dishwasher, but the counter space is awesome.

    ReplyDelete