Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Little Trip

I got to take a little trip the week before Thanksgiving back to good ol' California!!! Just a side note-I am sorry I didn't get to see all the friends I wanted to during this 2 1/2 day trip. 

My reason for going was because my Bedstefar (that's how you say Grandpa in Danish) passed away at the good old age of 98! He lived an amazing life and I was so grateful, my extended family helped me make it to his funeral to celebrate his life. I sadly had to leave Haans and the girls, but I did enjoy the free time of not chasing after little ones!

My Bedstefar and Bedstemor immigrated from Denmark in the 50's after joining The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. There were no temples in Europe at the time and they wanted to seal their family together for time and all eternity, one of the many blessings that happen inside the temples. So they moved across the ocean with 2 trunks, $50 and four kids, my dad being the youngest at age 1. They ended up settling in CA and Bedstefar became a mason by trade and was so good at brick laying he started his own company, until they opened the health food stores and then sold them to their kids to go on a mission back to Denmark to share with other Danes the great news of the gospel of Jesus Christ. 

There was lots of fun stories about his life and many funny quotes and memories. It was such a wonderful experience to be there to celebrate this amazing patriarch, who sacrificed so much for his immediate family and then his extended family so we could be blessed with the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. I too am grateful for my own testimony of Jesus Christ that I have gained through his example and other amazing family members and friends. I know through Christ's Atonement and His Resurrection I will see my Bedstefar again. And that will be a happy reunion! We ended up counting how much posterity Bedstefar left behind..... 120 and counting! I will sure miss him, but am so grateful I got to have him be a part of my life for so long!


My parents got to play airport taxi to a lot of us! Thank you so much!

The sisters and Bedstemor!

The triplets! Just kiddin', but a lot of people get the brothers mixed up!

Apparently Bedstefar ordered Danish weather for his funeral, cause it rained a lot!

Cute niece!

I LOVE my family so much!!! I sure miss them but am so grateful they are some of my best-est friends! We like to sing in my family, and one evening we all sat around at my parents home singing different songs, from Phantom of the Opera, The Proclaimers, Fantastics and even Nacho Libre! Oh it was so fun and so funny!

We were only missing Haans and my girls and one of my sister's husband! Otherwise we were all there!

Thought this was an amusing way to end the funeral! It's Bedstefar's car!

1 comment:

  1. I love reading up on your blog! Reminds me that I need to do the same : ) I am so glad you were my date for the funeral as we were both missing our hubbies. I sure love you Else. You are certainly one of my best friends and I am so grateful for you! Can't wait till we're all rich and living in Camarillo together again tehehe : )

    ReplyDelete